Posts tagged testing
I finally got around to setting up WordPress on my home server for purposes of tinkering. I decided to install the blog in the
public_html directory in my
home. The apache2 webserver was already installed and I knew that browsing to the
public_html folder worked just fine.
But when I tried to access the WordPress install page, all the browser wanted to do was download it as a text file.
So I stuck a php file with
phpinfo() in the
public_html folder and tried to access it. Same result.
OK. So I check for a few things using aptitude and checking the enabled modules in the apache2 setup directory and it looks like everything should work. So I decide to stick the
phpinfo() code into a file under
/var/www since that’s the document root.
VOILA! The PHP info page pops into view. So, for some reason, PHP is disabled for
public_html folders on my machine (a debian/testing installation). Some quick googling turned up the culprit. It was 5 lines in the
php5.conf file under the
<IfModule mod_php5.c> <FilesMatch "\.ph(p3?|tml)$"> SetHandler application/x-httpd-php </FilesMatch> <FilesMatch "\.phps$"> SetHandler application/x-httpd-php-source </FilesMatch> # To re-enable php in user directories comment the following lines # (from <IfModule ...> to </IfModule>.) Do NOT set it to On as it # prevents .htaccess files from disabling it. # <IfModule mod_userdir.c> # <Directory /home/*/public_html> # php_admin_value engine Off # </Directory> # </IfModule> </IfModule>
As can be seen, there’s even a handy little explanation! After commenting them out and running
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart I was finally able to install WordPress on my home machine. Kinda blew the whole “5 minute install” thing though.
We had a little power outage last night so when I came down this morning, the computer was, naturally, off. Turn it on, wait for boot process to complete only to see the wonderful words:
Attempting to enter rescue mode
error: the symbol ‘grub_xputs’ not found
Lovely way to start the weekend.
For whatever reason, xpdf has disappeared from the Debian testing repository. It’s a nuisance since it seems to be the best combination of fast and usable among the various non-adobe pdf readers. It appears that a version has been reintroduced to sid, but it’s been awhile now and I wanted a working pdf reader.
So I opted to build it from source.